Rohan - Aldburg

Aldburg
A part of the larger Rohan project, Grimslade was the ancestral seat of Grimbold, a Marshal of the Mark.

Meta
/warp Aldburg, /warp Aldburg-assets
Project Leader: @Tobberz
Project Deputy: @the_pharaohs_cat
Resource Pack: Rohan Pack
Region: Rohan

Background
From the Tolkien Gateway:

Aldburg was one of the oldest towns in Rohan and the first capital of the realm.

Aldburg was built by Eorl in the region known as the Folde, east of Edoras. After Brego, son of Eorl, completed the Golden Hall and the Kings removed to Edoras, the lordship of Aldburg passed to his youngest son, Eofor, from whom Éomund, father of Éomer, claimed descent.

Aldburg is an Old English name meaning “Old Fortress”

Outline
This thread will be updated with progress and instructions as the project proceeds. Aldburg is already quite far on at this point in creating the thread.

Map

Plan
âś“ - Done, :heavy_multiplication_x: - Not Done, â—• - In Progress, â­Ż - Needs Redoing
Fortified Town
Motte:
[X] Outline
[X] Main Hall
[X] Barracks
[X] Stables
[X] Additional structures
[X] Street furniture/decoration
[X] Interior Review
[X] Final Oversight Review

Inner Bailey:
[âś“] Outline
[âś“] Houses
[â—•] Inn
[X] Interior Review

Outer Bailey
[â—•] Outline
[â—•] Houses
[X] Farms & Animals
[X] Interior Review

Exterior Agriculture
[X] Farm fields
[X] Open Pasture/Rangeland
[X] Open Pasture/Rangeland
[X] Other (needs discussion)

Forest/Woodland
[X] Trees
[X] Forest decoration

Here’s a link to the ongoing excel plan:

There are now only three house jobs left in the Inner Bailey.
I need to assign the final 6 shop jobs, at which point we’ll move our focus to the Outer Bailey.
Well done to all the @Builders who have helped out!

We have finished Step 1 of this project, and as such job creation is paused while I prepare work for Step 2 - the outer bailey. I’ll tell you all when I’ve started job creation again!

The project is getting going again! Thanks to @the_pharaohs_cat for sorting out the pallisade gates:
Imgur

The project is coming along well. I’ve added 6 new jobs regarding paths/terrain etc.
Imgur

Made it to Job #400 overall!

In other news, Cat and I have made progress on planning the Fortress area, and there are 12 jobs awaiting completion.

1 Like

Imgur
Judging by the pace of Aldburg, I think it entirely possible that the map can be finished off by January. We only started this project in early July and an awful lot has happened already.

Thanks to all the builders who have helped out so far.

1 Like

Imgur

The palisade wall is now complete! Thanks to all who helped on it, and DragonLordPixal for finishing it off.

1 Like

We’ve made an awful lot of progress over the past 3 months, and I’ve finally begun planning the “Hill” area opposite the town. It’s taken a bit of thinking to decide what to put here, but I’ve decided on a small manor house (don’t worry), who’d oversee the farm down by the river along with some farms outside the walls.

I’ll add some other buildings around there too, and probably a few defencive towers.

Imgur

This is the full report due to appear in this fortnight’s newsletter, for your enjoyment:

Aldburg has continued to make brilliant progress, speeding up over the past few weeks. The castle is complete and we have begun on the buildings within the motte. I’ve also been adding interior jobs for the keep and said buildings.

In terms of the inner bailey, all the gardens/yards are now complete, and the only extra things we might want to do here is add some street atmosphere. Beyond that, the towers in the walls need interiors done.

For the outer bailey, the most glaring absence is the empty yards at the back of the houses, which I’ll need to work with the Artists/Designers to come up with a formula for. I also want to convert some of the default houses which have been built into profession structures, such as blacksmiths etc. I started on a manor up on the hill, and @lew_yam11 has started on building a mine nearby.

In the coming days - when I’m free - I’ll start to plan out the area just outside the walls.

Here’s a blow-up of the left hand side of that map, detailing the farm which will be built there.

1 Like

I have begun my oversight review. One job remains to be completed.
Then @LimeeFox will begin the cinematic, and it should be released early in New Year.

My Oversight Review is complete. Overall, Aldburg is a brilliant map and I cannot cease singing its praises. I am happy to allow this map to be released. However, two points did nag at me:

• It’s a shame not to include candles now they’ve been implemented. I’ve found a few but obviously they were added after the map was substantially complete. I suggest having a lighting overhaul of our Rohan maps once we implement them into the Southern Rohan map.
  • One can always add extra atmosphere to the streets of the town.

That being said, this map is truly, finally, “complete”. lee yam can knock it off the newsletter :wink:

2 Likes