The EpicQuestz Newsletter #44 (16/03/21)

The EpicQuestz Newsletter
Issue 44 - 16 March 2021

Editor’s Note

I know. I’m late again. I’m sorry. I’ll make it up to you with another interview, but I can’t promise for lengthy and detailed updates on the other parts of the newsletter, since many of both the leadership and members have been busy. But still, that doesn’t mean I can’t dedicate an hour or so of my time to updating you all on the biweekly progress, so I’ll stop babbling and let you read on.
-@dog_lover11

Project Progress

Aldburg | In Progress
Project Leader: @Tobberz

Progress on Aldburg has been slow due to member inactivity. There are plenty of jobs to do, and I hope things will pick up soon.
- Project Leader, @Tobberz

Bree | In Progress
Co-Leader: @LimeeFox Co-Leader: @dog_lover11

Bree has not not seen much progress, due to both leaders being busy with IRL shenanigans. A few more interiors have been completed, but no more planning or development has been completed.
- Project Leader, @dog_lover11

EpicQuestz Interviews

It’s been four weeks, which means it’s time for another exclusive interview! This week’s special speaker is everyone’s favourite Dutch designer: @raarmaarwaar. Recently promoted to designer, his dinosaur skin seems to be a metaphor for his long history of being an EpicQuester. Introductions out the way, let’s see what he had to say about his experiences with our team.

When did you first join EpicQuestz, and how did you find us?
I got on the server somewhere around the end of 2015 i think. As a huge fan of Lord Of the Rings i first found Empire War, and I spent many hours - i mean MANY hours on that server. People were talking about this ‘build server’ so i hopped on and didn’t really do much except look around and be amazed by the buildings that had been made.

What are your best/first memories?
My first memory is building thranduil’s halls on my own small plot. I asked if somebody could help do the terrain (that’s also the first time seeing World Edit and Voxel being used) but sadly I never finished the plot.

What’s made you stick around?
Most of the time I would be just online, flying, minding my own business. I did not contribute much to the community in my early days. I played on survival servers and took the time to learn how to build well or see what I could do on the server. But for some reason I just kept coming back.

When were you promoted?
I have the feeling of always being builder, I don’t remember that promotion…
But thanks the the help of LimeeFox I started on working to become Artist. I made 3 plots to get there, and that was around a year and a half ago.
And around 1 month ago I became Designer!

What have you built on the server that you are most proud of?
I am already proud of most of the buildings we have built together as a team - not so much the outcome of the build, but collaboration and playing together on the server.
But, still, if I have to choose, I am quite proud of the outcome of my own shire themed plot. Except for the trees, I made this plot all by myself and I am really proud that it gives such a nice idilic vibe.
I am also very proud of the Aldburg project, I really think we have reached a new level of realistic building here! And as long as everyone does their best, I am always proud!

Other Developments

Not much has occurred in this category lately, but I’d like to use this section to remind you about the Grimslade cinematic, which is (hopefully) being filmed this coming Friday (the 19th). If you haven’t yet, react to the bot in #roles on discord for access to the #cinematics channel.

Technical Corner

Several of the server’s plugins have been updated, along with the server software. Alongside this, work on the wiki has begun.

Promotions/Changes

This hasn’t exactly happened in the last 2 weeks, but I somehow missed out on it last edition.
A big congratulations to @raarmaarwaar who was promoted to designer about a month ago! A well deserved promotion for a longstanding member of the community :heart:

Featured Creation

This fortnight brings with it a featured creation built by a small team: Howl’s Moving Castle, built by Ketagoblin, DragonLordPixal, and 2headeddictator. The steampunk castle was built to a pretty large scale, and - from what I’ve scene of the movie - a good level of accuracy. I’m sure you can all agree it turned out great!

Closing

A brief thank you to @SrMarkuzz for the beautiful screenshots of projects in this newsletter, which turned out looking incredible. And with that said, I have nothing more to give. Until next time, this is me signing off.

BI-WEEKLY QUIZ:

Who was dubbed ‘Father of Dragons’, from which Morgoth bred his dragons?

Answer to the previous quiz:
Personally, I think that Thorondor returned to Valinor to live out his life in peace, as a reward from Manwë for his several great accomplishments in Middle Earth. Although he was never mentioned after the War of Wrath, I think it’s extremely unlikely that such a character would have been killed without a mention in the books.

7 Likes

That would be Ancalagon the Black

1 Like

Amazing!
I’ve got to say, despite little progress on our Middle-Earth projects recently, this has to be the best newsletter (of this generation) that has been written! Particularly loved the raar-dino metaphor xD

2 Likes

Thanks for the epic interview raar

2 Likes

Father of Dragons was, of course, Glaurung (possibly Maiar). I hope I didn’t butcher that name.

1 Like

thanks! =D
if I might ask, what was outstanding about it?

1 Like

Pretty pictures, interesting interview (again, funny metaphor xd) but other than that it’s just been pretty chill and enjoyable, showing a sympathetic community with group projects/builds and with all of that with a touch of charm.

2 Likes