Build-Off #3 (01/05/2020)

KnockKnockWhosThatItsPIZZA
EQ build-off #3 – Hobbiton

“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit, or There and Back Again

Prize:
For the first time ever in our short Buid-off history there will be a prize!

The winner will be rewarded with a Donor Class on Empire War!

Big thanks to Empire War for making this possible!

Theme: Hobbiton ( http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Hobbiton )

Recommended resourcepack: EQPack_rohan-0.2

Time: 7 days, 12:00 Saturday 2nd may 2020 – 12:00 Saturday 9th may 2020

Judging:
Contestants will be judged based on the following three aspects:

Originality Category (How unique is your build from the others entered in the competition?)
Keep in mind that while it’s fine to put a special twist on your build, it shouldn’t stray too far from the source material present in Tolkien’s book. Graded on a 1-10 scale

Artistic Category (How pleasing is the overall result?)
This category focuses on things like composition, consistent detailing, block choice and the atmosphere of the plot. You may focus on terrain, structure or organics as you see fit. This is where most of your score will come from! Graded on a 1-15 scale

Reference Category (How closely do you match Tolkien’s descriptions?)
While some might disagree, as the organizer of this contest I am putting this as the lowest-impact category, since I want builders to go out of their comfort zones and experiment as much as possible. Graded on a 1-5 scale

Judge panel:
@Enoshade
@lew_yam11
@Tobberz
@raarmaarwaar

rules:

• one entry per person is allowed.
  • one person per plot
  • do not copy one of your older plots.
  • Inappropriate structures are forbidden.
  • judges are free to enter, but they cannot compete in the event.

If an entry doesn’t follow the given theme, or if a participants or their entry doesn’t follow the rules, they are getting disqualified.

note:
to get a competion plot go to /warp BuildComp and claim a plot with /plot auto. this is possible from Saturday 2nd may 12:00

Credit for Images

Summary

1st https://www.movieworldmap.com/filming-locations/hobbiton/
2nd https://www.movieworldmap.com/filming-locations/hobbiton/#lg=1&slide=2
3rd https://www.movieworldmap.com/filming-locations/hobbiton/#lg=1&slide=6

3 Likes

Here’s some variety for the inspiration images:

By Ray Gilronan

By Roland Lee

By Ted Nasmith

1 Like

“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”

- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of The Ring

The results are in! And the winner is…

@Louis_rc ! Congratulations with winning and with your new Donor Class.
I hope you enjoy it on Empire War.

And I have another surprise for the number 2 and 3!

In second place is @AlienAgent124
for number two there is a prize consisting of 30 days of a Donor Class on Empire War.

@LimeeFox finished in third place!
for number three there is a prize consisting of 15 days of a Donor Class on Empire War!

We hope everyone enjoyed this build off. It was cool to see so many of you participating!

To claim your prize just send @Tobberz a message!

4 Likes

Thanks for running this raar, and thanks to everyone for taking part!

The judging was pretty hard and there were a lot of good entries.

2 Likes

Much of what Tob said just before- thanks a bunch for running this whole thing Raar, it’s the most fun I’ve had building for a while. Of course it’s awesome having one the thing (by such a close margain, too), but if I’m honest it was the actual participation in the event that I really enjoyed.
(I know they all say “it’s the taking part that counts”- I really dislike that phrase, but it applies perfectly to these building competitions)
Thanks Raar and everyone who judged it too : D

1 Like